Total Pageviews

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Pasembur - the Indian salad 印度沙拉

A lot of people don't know what is PASEMBUR. This applies to most of the Malaysian too. You might have seen it, heard of it, but never tried it. So I'm trying my best to tell you all what it is.



Pasembur is a kind of Indian salad unique to Penang, Malaysia. I still remember the very first time when I went to Penang, besides the historical spots, the main reason I went there was crawling for food. I tried many kinds of delicious food. But when I came to this Pasembur stall, I stayed STILL for quite a long time in front of the stall.

I didn't know how to make an order..........Orz.....

I believe most of you will have the same reaction as I do. Normally hawker food stalls will only have one selection with "spicy" or "not spicy" choices. But when you come to Pasembur stall, there will be a MOUNTAIN of food waiting in front of you. You will see fish balls, meat balls, toufu, cucumber, hotdogs, squid, fried crabs, potatoes, eggs, and sometimes chicken wings displayed. How to order?

Well, actually it's quite easy. There are two ways to make an order. You can just tell the hawker that you want "ONE PASEMBUR" then he/she will mix the pasembur for you. Or you can pick the ingredients that you want and mix together.


After cutting into smaller cubes, just perfect for one bite, they will be mixed together. We have a Malay name for it "rojak" which means mixing all the things together. Then a kind of sweet & spicy seasoning sauce will be poured atop. Here you go, the pasembur (or rojak mamak) is served. It's time to enjoy the special pasembur~!!

I'm sure that you won't stop after the first bite. Get your pasembur at Gurney Drive Hawker Centre, Penang now~!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment