Total Pageviews

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Fossils found in Malaysia 馬來西亞化石

Fossils are extremely rare and hardly found in Malaysia though the Western Belt of Peninsular Malaysia (to the West of the Titiwangsa mountain range) and Langkawi containing the oldest known rocks (Middle Cambrian or earliest Paleozoic) in the country.

The only complete record of fossil research is in Langkawi (state of Kedah, Malaysia) where trilobites, brachiopods, arthropod and some other deposits were found. Not much research has been done in East Malaysia so far.

It happened to be such a coincidence that when I went back to my hometown Miri, Sarawak, I got to see a book [Geological Excursions Around Miri, Sarawak] on the rack, untouched. Since I'm an amateur fossil collector, I decided to buy it. To my surprise, there were actually quite a lot of fossils and ancient deposit noted in Miri.

So I decided to dig.

I got to a few spots according to the information given. I was just so lucky to find some rocks with fossils. Here are some of the photos taken with my handphone. I will try to upload some more with DSLR.

This is a shell assembly fossil which I like a lot as there's a shape of LOVE in the middle of it. Below are some of the leaves fossils that I collected in Miri. I guess I'm just too lucky.



The species of these fossils are still unknown. Anyone who's interested or expert in this field please kindly leave me some comments. Maybe we can dig and research together. And also, I can bring you to go around this beautiful Resort City, Miri.

Reference:
1. http://myktours.com/index_files/langkawi.html
2. http://www.gsm.org.my/geosciences/geoscience/mygeology.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment